Fosfomycin for Non-Urinary Tract Infections: a systematic review

Shreya Das Adhikari, Souvik Chaudhuri, Carl Boodman, Mukund Gupta, Marco Schito, Heather Stone, Nitin Gupta

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review


Introduction: Although fosfomycin is currently approved for treating urinary tract infections, it is increasingly being used as salvage therapy for various infectious syndromes outside the urinary tract. This systematic review evaluates clinical and microbiological cure rates in patients with bacterial infections not restricted to the urinary tract where fosfomycin was used off-label. Materials and Methods: Articles from two databases (Pubmed and Scopus) were reviewed. The dosage, route, and duration of fosfomycin therapy along with the details of adjunctive antimicrobial agents were not-ed. The final outcomes captured were clinical or microbiological cures. Results: A total of 649 articles, not including duplicates, were selected for the title and abstract screening. After title and abstract screening, 102 articles were kept for full-text screening. Of the 102 articles, 23 studies (n=1227 patients) were kept in the final analysis. Of the 1227 pa- tients, 301 (25%) received fosfomycin as monotherapy, and the remaining 926 (75%) received fosfomycin in combination with at least one other antimicrobial agent. Most of the patients received intravenous fosfomycin (n=1046, 85%). Staphylococcus spp and Enterobacteria-ceae were the most common organisms. The pooled clinical and microbiological cure rates were 75% and 84%, respectively. Conclusion: Fosfomycin has moderate clinical success in patients with non-urinary tract infections, especially when used with other antimicrobials. Due to the paucity of randomized controlled trials, fosfomycin’s use should be limited to situations where no alternatives are supported by better clinical evidence.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)163-173
Number of pages11
JournalInfezioni in Medicina
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 2023

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Microbiology (medical)
  • Infectious Diseases


Dive into the research topics of 'Fosfomycin for Non-Urinary Tract Infections: a systematic review'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this