Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning

T. S. Mohankumar, Tanuj Kanchan, K. S. Pinakini, Ritesh G. Menezes, Manisha Singh, Parmendra Sirohi, Naureen Anwar

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

7 Citations (Scopus)


Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deaths throughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains an under recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsy findings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case of fatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installed recently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerous levels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortality and morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)490-493
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Forensic and Legal Medicine
Issue number8
Publication statusPublished - 01-11-2012
Externally publishedYes

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Law


Dive into the research topics of 'Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this