Perception and Self-Medication Practices Among the General Population During the Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic in Mangalore, India

Nitin Joseph, Sumith Marian Colaco, Ronel Valentine Fernandes, Sarvesh G. Krishna, Sourav I. Veetil

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The practice of self-medication appears to be much more rampant during the-COVID-19 pandemic. Hence, awareness about its consequences is essential among the general population during the current circumstances. Objectives: To study the prevalence of and perception towards self-medication, as well as its determinants among the general population of Mangalore. Methods: This cross-sectional study was done during the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in August 2021. Data were collected using a Microsoft form disseminated among residents of Mangalore through WhatsApp and email. Results: The mean age of the 225 participants in this study was 34.5±15.2 years. Self-medication practice was indulged by 77(34.2%) out of the total participants. The most common symptom for which self-medication was practiced was for common cold [54(70.1%)], and the most commonly used drug was paracetamol [67(87%)]. 167(74.2%) participants felt that self-medication practices were harmful, but the rest 58(25.8%) felt that it was not a harmful practice. 116 (51.6%) participants felt that the advertisements in mass media and social media promoted self-medication practices among people. Out of the 69(30.7%) participants who felt that self-medication practice was acceptable during the current circumstances, the majority [66(95.6%)] felt that it was better to avoid visiting any doctor or health care facility presently to avoid acquir-ing COVID-19. In the multivariable analysis, participants with a history of self-medication among their family members, relatives, or friends were more likely to indulge in self-medication (p<0.001). Perceptions that self-medication practices were harmful were more among females (p=0.0397). Conclusion: More than one-third of the participants indulged in self-medication practice. More than one-fourth of the participants felt that self-medication practices were not harmful. About one-third felt it was acceptable, and most of them felt so to avoid the risk of contracting the Coronavirus infection. Awareness of its hazards, particularly among males and those with a family history of self-medications, is required at Mangalore.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)233-245
Number of pages13
JournalCurrent Drug Safety
Volume18
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 05-2023

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Toxicology
  • Pharmacology
  • Pharmacology (medical)

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Perception and Self-Medication Practices Among the General Population During the Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic in Mangalore, India'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this