The ratio of second to fourth digit length (2D: 4D) and heart disease

Naveen Kumar, Mohammad Arsyd Bin Sallehuddin, Syed Mohd Farris Bin Syed, Muhammad Hafiz Bin Idris, Terry Anak Jamba, S. Swamy Ravindra, Jyothsna Patil, Ashwini Aithal

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)


Objectives: The risk of getting heart diseases is unpredictable due to many predisposing factors range from lifestyle to genetic inheritance. Scientist made the discovery after studying men of various age who had suffered heart disease made a finding; the length of ring fingers (4D) are shorter than index fingers (2D) are at greater risk of premature heart attack at their early 30. Based on these facts, we carried out this project work by analyzing 2D and 4D ratios with the perspective of risk of heart disease among the Malaysian undergraduate students. Materials and method: A cross sectional study using questionnaire about subject’s family history of heart related problems if any, followed by measurement of length of second and fourth digit was carried out. 2D:4D ratio index was calculated. Data obtained were tabulated according to index more than 1 and less than 1. Results and discussion: In the present study, total 66 subjects (n=120) presented with a ratio greater than 1.0, this accounted for a total of 55%, while remaining 45% of subjects had 2D:4D <1.0. Even though we couldn’t confirmed that this test confirms an accurate indicator to determine the risk, it is yet the strongest predictor of heart disease later in life. Conclusion: We hope that this study could create awareness among the students with 2D4D ratio greater than 1.0 to avoid heart diseases by leading a better lifestyle with balanced diet and regular exercise.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)529-532
Number of pages4
JournalBangladesh Journal of Medical Science
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 2016

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'The ratio of second to fourth digit length (2D: 4D) and heart disease'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this